Monday, July 5, 2010

My Grandfather's Music

One area of life Gumpy and I never saw eye-to-eye on was music.  If you look at my I-Pod, you will find a wide variety of music.  I love Urge Overkill, good trance, smooth jazz and I've learned to stomach some 80's music.  I could never get my mind around the bluegrass and country Gumpy loved.

When Gumpy was out in the field, he had a small radio attached to the fender of his Massey Ferguson tractor.  It was always tuned to WITL, Lansing's only country music station.  I watched countless episodes of Hee-Haw because my grandfather loved the show.  It is where I learned such ditties as,

Gloom, dispair and agony on me,
Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck,
I'd have no luck at all.
Gloom dispair and agony on me!  

Since I've been thinking about him a lot lately, I thought you might enjoy a few of his favorite tunes.  I know I am starting too myself.







2 comments:

  1. Way to go David! You listed all of his favorites! Your grandpa would be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 30 years I never knew that when my husband sang Drop Kick me Jesus that it was ACTUALLY a REAL SONG???!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete