Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Habits I've Picked Up

A friend of mine wrote a great book a few years ago commemorating his dad who passed away suddenly from a heart attach.  Eric's book "I Miss My Dad'" helped me enjoy the last few years I had with Gumpy.  He has done a great job of engaging people on Facebook too, often asking questions that get me to remembering the good old days with Gumpy.

Eric's comment tonight was especially thought provoking because it reminded me just how many of my little habits are things I learned by mimicking my Grandfather.  All it took was this call to action:
Share with us a little saying that you carry on from your Dad or loved one... 
Gumpy always had a way of clapping his hands that I picked up.  I usually do it when I am walking into Ema's house to announce that I am home.  He liked to say, "A little faster if you can stand it," when he said it.

Every night after work, he took his shoes off under the kitchen table.  Every night when Ema was getting dinner ready, she would move his shoes to the bedroom.  Every morning, he would struggle to find his shoes and often comment that someone must have stolen his shoes because he could not find them.  I don't do that with shoes, I do that with keys.  I put my keys in the same place every night.  When Gladys starts cleaning, she puts them in the bucket by the door.  I then start wandering around our loft looking for my keys.

Whistling was something Gumpy did unconsciously while working around the farm.  It was a nonsensical tune but I find myself compelled to try it when I am working around the farm.  I still throttle down the riding lawn mower before shutting it off, just like he did.

Gumpy loved his ankle socks.  I never remember him wearing tube socks.  It was either ankle socks or dress socks if he was going out.  When I decide to wear them, I have his taste in socks.

Eric's book is worth a read and his Facebook page is worth a follow.  Thanks for inspiring this blog post!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Eric's book too. I recommend it to anyone who is losing or has lost a parent/grandparent.

    David, I chuckled when I read the part about the shoes......when I am out there, I leave my shoes under the table too, so Ema can call me "Elbert" and hide them on me.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete