Friday, February 19, 2010

My First Suit

I realized my junior year of college that I really had no idea what I wanted to do when I graduated.  As a Political Science major, your career choices are usually fairly limited.  Most Poli Sci majors go to law school, become professors or work on political campaigns for very little money.  I was looking forward to graduating and struggling with what a future career might be.  One thing I did know, I needed a suit.

For a Christmas and birthday (hereafter known as Davemas) gift, I asked my grandparents for a suit.  I knew Gumpy had some expertise in this area and I looked forward to having a good suit for potential job interviews.  What I did not realize was just how much knowledge he had about suits.  In his time with the Brotherhood of Railway, Airline and Steamship Clerks; he learned to select his own suits.  When you are sitting at the bargaining table hammering out national agreements for union members in the United States and Canada, you need to look your best.  He was great at looking his best.

Mind you, Gumpy was not a vain person.  He merely thought that God gave you a body to take care of while you were on Earth, and that included keeping up a sharp appearance.

I was not sure what to expect when we walked into the Men's Wearhouse in Novi.  What I remember most was Gumpy talking with the salesman for a few minutes and gently coaching HIM on what to look for in a suit.  Between the salesman (who was great at color) and Gumpy (who was great with fabrics and fit), I walked out with a full suit, several shirts, shoes, suspenders and an overcoat.  All lasted several interviews, weddings and other special events.  I was a little sad when pieces of the wardrobe started wearing out eight years after purchase because I had a great time that day.

Things that I learned that day.
1.  Worsted wool suits are very versital and should be what you focus on if you only wear suits occasionally.
2.  If the suit puckers between your shoulders, have the tailor let it out a little more.  That puckering is unaccepatble.
3.  Gumpy was the most fashionable man in Vermontville.

3 comments:

  1. I miss the era of our grandparents when being well dressed was important while at the same time, I love being comfortable. I suspect that as shoppers we settle for less quality these days while fashion manufacturers create clothing to fit the masses. Perhaps, that is the secret to yesteryear's fashion. Good quality clothes ARE comfortable.

    Note to self: Call David Lingholm when it's time to buy my two son's suits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy did enjoy dressing up. He was sick beyond belief, but had Ema taking him out to get a new sports coat, shirt and tie for our family trip to Idaho! he didn't want to look sickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I'd help in a heartbeat. And good, well made suits are SO comfortable!

    ReplyDelete