Thursday, July 22, 2010

Remembering Ema and Gumpy's 50th Anniversary

Today would have been my grandparent's sixtieth wedding anniversary.  I know they had their good times and their struggles.  What was remarkable to me was their fidelity to each other right up to the end of Gumpy's life.

In some ways, the last decade has flown by yet I remember the weekend we spent as a family as plain as day.  The family met at the farm early that Saturday to enjoy time with each other.  I saw many extended family members that day, all of them I wish I could speak with more often.  My Aunt Charlotte had pulled together a quilt with squares decorated by many of us and Ema still proudly displays the photo we all took with the quilt.

That evening, we held a reception at the Vermontville Opera House.  It was that evening I realized just how much I look like my Uncle Jim, because I was stopped at least a dozen times by people calling me Jimmy.  One of the highlights of the evening was meeting one of Ema's bridesmaids that she had not seen in decades.

After several hours of meeting new people, reconnecting with long-lost friends and playing a little baseball with a few of the kids; we all retired to the farm because my grandparents were treating the immediate family to a trip to Mackinaw.

The three days we spent up north were not without incident, but we all muddled through.  In fact, we had a blast.  We spent time at the Tahquamenon Falls, truly one of the most beautiful places in Michigan.  A cedar tree lined river gives the river almost a rust colored tint, yet the water is pure.

A few of the family members made the trek from the lower falls to the upper falls by way of a dirt trail.  Thinking that we could do it faster, my ex and I decided to do the walk back.  Little did we know that the one place in the Upper Peninsula it would rain was going to be right over us.  Foggy glasses and soaked clothes made for an interesting trip back.

Mackinaw Island lost power the day we arrived, yet you do not need electricity to enjoy the island.  We had fun anyway.  Both nights, my room turned into the "adult beverage" room, where my uncle Dave and I made sure the cooler was full.  Between him and my cousin Frank, we made sure beer was plentiful, card games were lively and everyone could enjoy our time together.

Most importantly, I learned just how important family was to my grandparents.  I learned that my grandfather would literally fight if he needed to if it meant keeping his family together.  That ideal really sank in for me and it plays into my decision making daily.  This is the weekend that I discovered how much loyalty and family mean to me too.  Disagreements, misunderstandings and hurt feelings are a part of being a family, and we all need to get over it.

I miss Gumpy and I wish he could be here to enjoy this day but I know he's watching.  I know he would be happy that Ema got out of the house today because he would understand just how sad she would be.  While he loved all of us, he was always most concerned about his little Chickadee.  I assure you buddy, we all still love her and we are all doing as much as she will let us to help!  Happy Anniversary!  

No comments:

Post a Comment