Monday, June 13, 2011

Skinny the Baby

When I was 14, my grandparents took my sister and I on a wild adventure to Washington, D.C.  Okay, wild is a bit much.  The closest thing we got to wild was watching our first drug bust in a parking lot inside the Great Smokey Mountain National Forest.

The trip was fun, even for an angst filled teenager.  We went to the Lincoln Memorial, took a tour of the White House, wandered around the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and walked through the Vietnam Memorial.  When we left D.C., Gumpy pointed our little fliver (his affectionate term for a car) west to take us down the Shenandoah Parkway and the Blue Ridge Parkway, which were filled with gorgeous vistas that I still appreciate today.

One thing that is burned into my memory of that trip is the little song he liked to sing.  He started teaching us the words to Skinny the Baby until Ema told him to stop.  We only learned the first verse and by the time he thought I was old enough to be taught the second verse, he could no longer remember the words.  

The first verse:
Went downtown to see my lady,
Nobody's home but Skinny the Baby.
I was drunk and he was sober, 
He blew his nose and he knocked me over.

If you know the rest of the words to this song, please share them with me.  It's been 23 years since I learned the first part, I still want to know what Ema wouldn't let him tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment