Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cancer, I'm Through With You

Cancer, I've had quite enough of your brazen attitude toward my family.  You're going down!

You tried, and failed, to take my little sister and my Aunt.  You robbed me of my best buddy, Gumpy.  You robbed my wife of her father, before I ever had the chance to meet Hilton.  I'm pissed at you for that too because I know Hilton was the type of man I respect and enjoy being around, based on just how much his daughters love him.

I have had enough.  To fight back, I'm growing a mustache.

It's all a part of the Movember movement.  Hundreds of thousands of men around the world are going from cleanly shaved to well mustached this November to raise money to fight you Cancer.  Through research and supporting the families you are trying to take apart, I'm quite sure your days are numbered.

To my friends and family, join me here in supporting this effort.  Donate or grow a mustache.  It does not matter how you get involved, just get involved.  Prostate cancer might not be what took our loved ones, but Cancer is still Cancer and any win against it is a win for us all.  

My mustache is for our community, but it is in honor of Gumpy.  The only time I saw him without a mustache was in pictures.  It ranged from full handlebar, with "goose grease" (his term for mustache wax) to a nice clean upper lip sweater.  Maybe it's time for me to carry on the tradition.

1 comment:

  1. Dad would be tickled if you grew a stache. He originally grew it because I had a boyfriend with long dark hair and a stache and he thought it was cool. Later, he was afraid to shave it because he thought it would frighten Rebekah (remember how shy she was). He also kept it because GG complained vociferously about how it covered his beautiful, natural teeth (keep in mind she tried to set my grandfather's on fire). Finally, it just became a part of who he was. So grow that stache & I'll treat to the goose grease!

    ReplyDelete